Friday, February 25, 2011

Junkanoo anyone???

Part of being in the Bahamas during the Christmas Holidays is that you get the opportunity to take in a local and from what I understand and island tradition...Junkanoo. The link on the title is the most information I've seen on Junkanoo. More than the locals were able to give us anyways :)

It happens on December 26th and January 1st...supposedly in the wee hours of the morning. Being on island time, they didn't start until the early hours of the evening...lol.

This video is the first round the parade took down the street of Alice Town. That kid at the end is Kegan...he was from Toronto and we ran into him everywhere. He's also dancing on the bar with an older ladie in the New Year's video. This kid just made my heart sing. So open, so free and so curious. I realized I could use a little more of his lifestyle in my life.


In the last few days in Bimini we went snorkelling again at Honeymoon Harbour and then at the Sapona shipwreck. The water at this wreck was freezing, but there were all sorts of cool things to take in. Justin, Ty and Drew were all about going through little holes and seeing what was on the other side, which ended up being like little rooms, but I decided I'd stay in the main part of the ship. No little spaces with only a snorkel for me... Although I did venture through one at the back of the ship as it led out to the back deck where we found the prop and lots of other gear. I'm sure it has names, just don't know them :) (video)


And then as a final hoorah, we went and fed the sharks...again. This time dad got in the water...hung on to the back of the boat though, and took video. I'm still quite apprehensive about doing that. It's on my bucket list though... :) (video)


I'm excited to get back to Bimini...whenever that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment