Thursday, July 2, 2009

Is this what the moon looks like?

So if you've ever wondered what the surface of the moon would look like, I think Craters of the Moon is the closest you're gonna get to seeing it. Not sure if this is what it really looks like, but I wouldn't doubt it.

It's a pretty wierd thing to see. On our way into the park there were rolling, green, velvety hills to the left and harsh, jagged, awkward rocks to the right. Strange. Really strange. The craters were actually once volcanoes, and some still are I believe. Well there are volcanoes, but the craters, I think, are like parts of lava flows that shift and stuff with the earth. I dunno...that's my scientific rendition of it. Although there isn't much there, it is interesting to see. The land, for miles, is all rock. And it's not like anything I've ever seen before. We walked up to the top of one of the mounds/volcanoes and we could see for miles. It was pretty surreal really. Middle of nowhere, standing on an active (well sort of) volcano looking out over all kinds of lava rock formations for miles. Like the moon...eerily quiet and amazingly beautiful all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment